Asbestos Removal Charlotte & Salisbury, NC
Most products made today do not contain asbestos. Those few products made which still contain asbestos that could be inhaled are required to be labeled as such. However, until the 1980s, many types of building products and insulation materials used in homes contained asbestos. Handling or being exposed to asbestos can cause certain types of lung cancer, Mesothelioma and other health issues. Removing asbestos should only be done by certified asbestos technicians. Do you know what products and fixtures could potentially contain asbestos? Common products that might have contained asbestos in the past, and conditions which may release fibers, include the following:
Where is Asbestos and when do I need Asbestos Removal?
- FURNACE DUCTS, OLD METAL DUCT SYSTEMS w/ White Asbestos Tape, STEAM PIPES, BOILERS, insulated with an asbestos blanket or asbestos paper tape. These materials may release asbestos fibers if damaged, repaired, or removed improperly.
- RESILIENT FLOOR TILES (vinyl asbestos, asphalt, and rubber), the backing on VINYL SHEET FLOORING, and ADHESIVES used for installing floor tile. Sanding tiles can release fibers, as can scraping or sanding the backing of sheet flooring during removal.
- CEMENT SHEET, MILLBOARD, and PAPER used as insulation around furnaces and wood burning stoves. Repairing or removing appliances may release asbestos fibers. So may cutting, tearing, sanding, drilling or sawing insulation.
- DOOR GASKETS in furnaces, wood stoves, and coal stoves. Worn seals can release asbestos fibers during use.
- SOUNDPROOFING OR DECORATIVE MATERIAL sprayed on walls and ceilings. Loose, crumbly, or water-damaged material may release fibers. So will sanding, drilling or scraping the material.
- PATCHING AND JOINT COMPOUNDS for walls and ceilings and TEXTURED PAINTS. Sanding, scraping, or drilling these surfaces may release asbestos.
- ASBESTOS CEMENT ROOFING, SHINGLES, and SIDING. These products are not likely to release asbestos fibers unless sawed, drilled or cut.
- ARTIFICIAL ASHES AND EMBERS sold for use in gas-fired fireplaces. Also, other older household products such as FIREPROOF GLOVES, STOVE-TOP PADS, IRONING BOARD COVERS, and certain HAIRDRYERS.
If you think your home or business has any of these potential asbestos hazards, call us today to schedule an appointment. The technicians at Piedmont Quality Air have years of experience identifying possible asbestos hazards. If needed we can take the current fixture that contains asbestos and replace it with a new asbestos free fixture that is safe to be in your home. Call us today to schedule an inspection.
Fill the form out to request a asbestos evaluation today.